British Go Congress
Friday 9th April - Sunday
It was a nice sunny weekend with 80 players attending Abingdon
School. The venue worked well with very few problems and the rounds
kept reasonably to time. The accomodation was ok and the food plentiful.
Only 5 go players 'burnt to death' during the fire practice. The
T-shirts were late arriving, only being received on the morning the
tournament started - phew.
The lightning was ably run by Tony Atkins - my thanks to him. The
draw for the main event was done by Geoff Kaniuk using his program -
thanks to Geoff were given as a small donation to the Susan Barnes
Francis Roads gave a superb talk on Sunday morning on playing large
handicap games as white. The key, he said, is "bullying"!
Local Lib Dem MP, Dr Evan Harris, who has spoken on mindsports,
attended and presented the prizes.
British Open - (the main tournament)
- Seong June Kim, 6D Cambridge 6/6
- Matthew Macfadyen, 6D Leamington 5/6
- Third (on SOS)
- TMark Hall, 4D Bristol 4/6
- Young K Kim, 5D CLGC 4/6
Several other players won prizes for 4.5 wins or more.
Cambridge won the team trophy.
Full results are available as a text file.
Lightning - (Friday evening)
- Main section
- Winner: Seong June Kim
- Second: Piers Shepperson
- 4/5 wins: Des Cann, Chris Dawson, Simon Goss, TMark Hall
- Lower section
- Winner: Ian McAnally
- 4/5: Daniel Calvelo
Continuous 13 * 13
Won by Daniel Calvelo from Nicola Hurden.
- Phutball - Shawn Hearn
- Sprouts - Pauline Bailey
- Africa (identify the 51 countries) -
Eddie Smithers with 47/51.
- Countdown (8 sets of words, numbers and conundrums)
- John Rickard.
- Find the theme (Spouses of British monarchs)
- Eddie Smithers.
Notes for organisers of similar events
Facilities / Entrants
- Playing hall
- Administration room - A separate lockable room was a great help
- Relaxation room - for chatting over games, watching TV, eating
biscuits and doing side events. Having the coffee separate from the
biscuits seemed beneficial from an organisers point of view.
- Lightning tournament - about 36 entrants
- Friday dinner (18:30) - 17 people
- Friday night / Sat Breakfast - 32 people
- Sat Lunch - 33 people
- Sat Dinner - 32 people
- Sat night / Sun Breakfast - 42 people
- Sun lunch - 35 people
The cashflow for the weekend was £2800. A lot of prizes can get
quite expensive - 20 bottles of wine, a dozen boxes of chocolate. Consider
personal liablity insurance for £1,000,000.
Quantities per 12 people per day
- 0.75l milk
- 60g instant coffee
- 15 teabags
- 0.3l orange squash
- 0.1l other squash
- 0.1l yet another squash
- 0.2kg sugar
- 48 biscuits
British Go Association
Last updated 2004-08-10
This page is part of http://www.stocton.org/